Weaving Fabric Baskets
and Fabric Grapevine Wreaths
the Curiosity Way!
Preparing the bias strips for baskets, wreaths and flower stems:
1. Cut bias strips 1" to 1 3/4" wide. Follow individual pattern instructions for color, lengths and widths.
a 1" wide bias strip will make a finished bias bar strip 1/8" to 5/16" wide
a 1 1/2" wide bias strip will make a finished bias bar strip 3/8" to 9/16" wide
a 1 3/4" wide bias strip will make a finished bias bar strip 5/8" to 11/16" wide
2. Fold the bias strip in half, lengthwise, with wrong sides together and press.
3. Measure from the fold the width you want your finished bias bar strip to be. Machine stitch the length of the fabric along this measurement. Trim the seam.
4. Slip a Curiosity Basket Bar into the bias tube, pushing the seam allowance to the flat side of the bar. Use spray starch along the seam. Press the seam allowance flat with a hot dry iron. Allow the bar to cool before pulling it out.
Weaving a basket:
1. Using your lap board (see Curiosity's Painless Applique Method online), slip your background fabric under the acetate pattern. Using the acetate as a guide, pin in the vertical basket strips.
2. Weave in the horizontal basket strips in an "over one, under one" or an "over two, under one" manner, depending on the basket you are making.
3. Complete the basket weaving. Turn under the raw edges and applique the basket to your background fabric. It's that simple!
Making a grapevine wreath:
1. Using your lap board (see Curiosity's Painless Applique Method online), slip your background fabric under the acetate pattern. Pin in bias bar strips using the acetate as a general guide.
2. Applique the wreath to your background fabric. Remember, there are no two grapevine wreaths the same, so you can't make a mistake... just have fun!
For more about Curiosity Basket Bars
To Order Basket Bars
Click here for Curiosity's home page for our full line of applique patterns and books
FREE instructions for Curiosity's Painless Applique Method
©Curiosity, 11220 Black Forest Road, Colorado Springs, CO 80908
| Home Page | New Products | Patterns | Books | Cats and Stuffed Animals |
| Applique Notions | Bargains |
| Painless Applique Method | Weaving Fabric Baskets and Wreaths | About Curiosity |
| About Noreen & Jan | Ordering Information | Product Order Form | e-mail |